Cause of 2-year-old Cache County boy's death 'undetermined'
RIVER HEIGHTS, Cache County — The mystery surrounding the death of a 2-year-old boy continued Thursday.
An autopsy conducted Thursday on the body of Eli Rutchey listed the cause of death as "undetermined," according to the Cache County Sheriff's Office. Results from toxicology and pathology tests were still pending.
The toddler was found dead in his home in River Heights Wednesday. But investigators weren't sure if his death was the result of a tragic accident or a homicide.
"We're treating this case as a homicide. We have to do that with every unattended death until the medical examiner tells us it's not. We'd do that with every death," said Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen.
The investigation began when Heidi Rutchey, 42, arrived at Logan Regional Hospital about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. There were no obvious signs of trauma, but there was something about her condition, as well as questions about the welfare of her son, that prompted hospital staff to call police, Jensen said.
Rutchey, whose condition was not known Thursday, was eventually transported to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray for an evaluation.
Sheriff's deputies were sent to the woman's house where the boy's body was found. Jensen could not comment on the condition of the boy's house or where in the house the boy was found, saying it was part of the evidence. He said the mother and child were the only people who lived there.
A search warrant to go through the rest of the house was scheduled to be served late Thursday, according to the sheriff's office.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Families of men shocked in electrical...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Man critically injured by power line while...
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork police...
- Body of missing Colorado man last spotted in...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 79
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 26
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 18
- Herriman man dies following fistfight... 18
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 13
- Man killed in hostage standoff with... 11