RIVER HEIGHTS, Cache County — The mystery surrounding the death of a 2-year-old boy continued Thursday.
An autopsy conducted Thursday on the body of Eli Rutchey listed the cause of death as "undetermined," according to the Cache County Sheriff's Office. Results from toxicology and pathology tests were still pending.
The toddler was found dead in his home in River Heights Wednesday. But investigators weren't sure if his death was the result of a tragic accident or a homicide.
"We're treating this case as a homicide. We have to do that with every unattended death until the medical examiner tells us it's not. We'd do that with every death," said Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen.
The investigation began when Heidi Rutchey, 42, arrived at Logan Regional Hospital about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. There were no obvious signs of trauma, but there was something about her condition, as well as questions about the welfare of her son, that prompted hospital staff to call police, Jensen said.
Rutchey, whose condition was not known Thursday, was eventually transported to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray for an evaluation.
Sheriff's deputies were sent to the woman's house where the boy's body was found. Jensen could not comment on the condition of the boy's house or where in the house the boy was found, saying it was part of the evidence. He said the mother and child were the only people who lived there.
A search warrant to go through the rest of the house was scheduled to be served late Thursday, according to the sheriff's office.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Body found near Big Cottonwood Canyon
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 72
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 35
- British judge hears arguments in case... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28