Images of world sport: 'Not every hit counts' theme for this week's top sports photos
Elise Amendola, AP
In sports, it's not every hit that counts, but every play. For one team or the other, every moment makes a difference in the outcome of the game.
However Wednesday evening, the Boston Red Sox made sure every hit counted as the team racked up 20 runs on the Detroit Tigers. David Ortiz himself put away two homers and a double to reach his 2,000th career hit, which made for a special night in the Red Sox dugout.
On the other side of the ball, the Oakland A's 2nd baseman Eric Sogard and 3rd basemen Josh Donaldson made outstanding defensive plays to prevent hits. Sogard caught a foul ball while standing on the wall in a sea of cheering fans, while Donaldson forced out a Texas Rangers runner to bring the A's an 11-4 victory.
Other games featured basemen willing to get airborne to make the tag out.
Baseball isn't the only sport featuring hits, however. Week one of the U.S. Open Tennis Championships featured some of the world's top players making and missing the cut.
No. 5 Tomas Berdych and No. 7 Roger Federer both fell to lower-ranked opponents in the fourth round, while No. 1 Novak Djokovic remained supreme.
A pit crewman for NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series driver Brad Keselowski hit the ground in a less-than-glorious fashion, as did motorcycle racer Jack Miller during a wreck at Indianapolis Grand Prix Moto3 race.
It may not always be the hit that counts in the final score, rather all the factors that went into making or preventing it.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26