Prudential Financial Inc
SALT LAKE CITY — The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards has begun its 19th annual search for Utah’s top youth volunteers.
Through Nov. 5, students in fifth through 12th grades are invited to apply for Prudential Spirit of Community Awards if they have made contributions to their communities through volunteer service within the past 12 months.
The awards, sponsored by Prudential Financial in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals, were created in 1995 to recognize middle level and high school students for helping people in need, promoting health and safety, protecting the environment or volunteering in other ways.
Applicants for 2014 awards must complete their online application by Nov. 5, 2013, then submit them for certification to a middle or high school principal, Girl Scout council, county 4-H agent, American Red Cross chapter, YMCA or HandsOn Network affiliate. Paper application forms can be requested by calling 877-525-8491.
Participating schools and local organizations will select local honorees in early November. All local honorees are then reviewed by a state-level judging committee, which will name the top two candidates from each state and the District of Columbia. The state honorees will receive $1,000 awards, engraved silver medallions, and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., with a parent for four days of recognition events May 3-6.
In Washington, a distinguished national selection committee will name 10 of the 102 state honorees as America’s top youth volunteers of the year.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9