Prudential Financial Inc
SALT LAKE CITY — The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards has begun its 19th annual search for Utah’s top youth volunteers.
Through Nov. 5, students in fifth through 12th grades are invited to apply for Prudential Spirit of Community Awards if they have made contributions to their communities through volunteer service within the past 12 months.
The awards, sponsored by Prudential Financial in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals, were created in 1995 to recognize middle level and high school students for helping people in need, promoting health and safety, protecting the environment or volunteering in other ways.
Applicants for 2014 awards must complete their online application by Nov. 5, 2013, then submit them for certification to a middle or high school principal, Girl Scout council, county 4-H agent, American Red Cross chapter, YMCA or HandsOn Network affiliate. Paper application forms can be requested by calling 877-525-8491.
Participating schools and local organizations will select local honorees in early November. All local honorees are then reviewed by a state-level judging committee, which will name the top two candidates from each state and the District of Columbia. The state honorees will receive $1,000 awards, engraved silver medallions, and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., with a parent for four days of recognition events May 3-6.
In Washington, a distinguished national selection committee will name 10 of the 102 state honorees as America’s top youth volunteers of the year.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17