Ravell Call, Deseret News
LAYTON — A construction worker was hospitalized Thursday after a 7,000-volt wire came in contact with a backhoe.
About 10 a.m. near the area of East Gentile and Chapel Streets, construction crews were off-loading a backhoe from a trailer, said Layton fire spokesman Doug Bitton.
As the machine was being unloaded, the boom came in contact with a power line overhead, he said. The current traveled through the backhoe and onto the street where one of the workers was standing nearby.
The voltage blew off a manhole cover, started several small grass fires, severed the power pole and knocked out power to the area, Bitton said.
The worker was conscious and sitting up when emergency crews arrived, but he was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in serious condition.
— Pat Reavy
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- Rally in support of police also draws... 39
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Death of South Jordan man in shootout... 8