Conditions of Draper shooting suspect, girlfriend upgraded
Couple were in 'agitated state' before officer was shot, sheriff says
SALT LAKE CITY — Two people connected to the fatal shooting of Draper Police Sgt. Derek Johnson remained hospitalized Thursday, but their conditions have improved, police said.
Timothy Troy Walker, 35, was upgraded from critical to serious condition at Intermountain Medical Center. His girlfriend, Traci Lee Vaillancourt, 34, was listed Thursday in fair condition, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Neither was officially under arrest as of Thursday morning. Hoyal said detectives were able to speak with Vaillancourt at the hospital where officers have maintained a 24-hour presence since the incident.
"The details of those conversations will not be released. Based on evidence collected and statements that have been made, detectives still believe that Walker is the suspect in this case and Vaillancourt is a victim," he said.
Investigators believe Walker shot and killed Johnson as the sergeant was driving back to the Draper Police Department to complete his shift.
A motive for the shooting was still unknown as of Thursday. Police do know that the couple had been involved in a traffic accident a couple of blocks away and had driven away from that scene.
"They had an accident, they were riding on one rim," said Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder. "They were (outside their vehicle), probably arguing and it was heated.
"Clearly they were at a super agitated state. And just then, the officer came around in his marked car," Winder said.
Whether Vaillancourt was shot before or after Johnson was still unknown Thursday. Walker then turned the gun on himself.
The funeral for Johnson will be held Friday at 11 a.m. at the Maverik Center in West Valley City. A viewing for the public will be held tonight from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 59
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 42
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 40
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 15
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13