Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications announced Thursday that it will cut more than 200 jobs from its Utah workforce.
The company released a statement indicating that L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by approximately 5.5 percent, or about 220 positions across the business.
The layoffs will primarily affect the company’s engineering organization. This latest action follows the company’s voluntary separation program announced in late July, which reduced employment by approximately 200 people. All impacted employees will receive separation payments and outplacement assistance, explained L-3 Communications spokeswoman Jennifer Barton.
“These difficult but necessary actions are being taken to size the business appropriately to stay competitive as CS-W continues to manage the impact of sequestration and related budget shifts in the defense industry,” she said. “In 2013, CS-W sales have slowed and new orders are down nearly 20 percent for the year.”
L-3 Communication Systems-West employs about 3,600 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 80
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17