Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications announced Thursday that it will cut more than 200 jobs from its Utah workforce.
The company released a statement indicating that L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by approximately 5.5 percent, or about 220 positions across the business.
The layoffs will primarily affect the company’s engineering organization. This latest action follows the company’s voluntary separation program announced in late July, which reduced employment by approximately 200 people. All impacted employees will receive separation payments and outplacement assistance, explained L-3 Communications spokeswoman Jennifer Barton.
“These difficult but necessary actions are being taken to size the business appropriately to stay competitive as CS-W continues to manage the impact of sequestration and related budget shifts in the defense industry,” she said. “In 2013, CS-W sales have slowed and new orders are down nearly 20 percent for the year.”
L-3 Communication Systems-West employs about 3,600 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Blunt force trauma caused S. Carolina woman's...
- Police: Woman found near Goshen died of...
- Man dies after allegedly ignoring police and...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 85
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9