Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications announced Thursday that it will cut more than 200 jobs from its Utah workforce.
The company released a statement indicating that L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by approximately 5.5 percent, or about 220 positions across the business.
The layoffs will primarily affect the company’s engineering organization. This latest action follows the company’s voluntary separation program announced in late July, which reduced employment by approximately 200 people. All impacted employees will receive separation payments and outplacement assistance, explained L-3 Communications spokeswoman Jennifer Barton.
“These difficult but necessary actions are being taken to size the business appropriately to stay competitive as CS-W continues to manage the impact of sequestration and related budget shifts in the defense industry,” she said. “In 2013, CS-W sales have slowed and new orders are down nearly 20 percent for the year.”
L-3 Communication Systems-West employs about 3,600 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 31
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 18
- Young adults are faced with risky... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12