Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications announced Thursday that it will cut more than 200 jobs from its Utah workforce.
The company released a statement indicating that L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by approximately 5.5 percent, or about 220 positions across the business.
The layoffs will primarily affect the company’s engineering organization. This latest action follows the company’s voluntary separation program announced in late July, which reduced employment by approximately 200 people. All impacted employees will receive separation payments and outplacement assistance, explained L-3 Communications spokeswoman Jennifer Barton.
“These difficult but necessary actions are being taken to size the business appropriately to stay competitive as CS-W continues to manage the impact of sequestration and related budget shifts in the defense industry,” she said. “In 2013, CS-W sales have slowed and new orders are down nearly 20 percent for the year.”
L-3 Communication Systems-West employs about 3,600 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 37
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 19
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14