Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications announced Thursday that it will cut more than 200 jobs from its Utah workforce.
The company released a statement indicating that L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by approximately 5.5 percent, or about 220 positions across the business.
The layoffs will primarily affect the company’s engineering organization. This latest action follows the company’s voluntary separation program announced in late July, which reduced employment by approximately 200 people. All impacted employees will receive separation payments and outplacement assistance, explained L-3 Communications spokeswoman Jennifer Barton.
“These difficult but necessary actions are being taken to size the business appropriately to stay competitive as CS-W continues to manage the impact of sequestration and related budget shifts in the defense industry,” she said. “In 2013, CS-W sales have slowed and new orders are down nearly 20 percent for the year.”
L-3 Communication Systems-West employs about 3,600 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 37
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13