RIVER HEIGHTS, Cache County — Police are investigating the death of a 2-year-old boy after finding the child dead in his home Wednesday.
The boy's body was found after his mother, 42, went to an area hospital for unknown medical reasons and hospital staff became concerned about her son's welfare, said Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen.
Deputies were notified about 2:30 p.m., went the home where the woman and the toddler lived alone and located the boy's body inside the home, Jensen said.
A medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death, Jensen said. Once an autopsy is complete, the sheriff's office will determine whether a criminal investigation is necessary.
The boy's mother was admitted to a Salt Lake hospital where she remained overnight, Jensen said.
No information about the woman's medical condition or what prompted hospital staff to inquire about the boy were available Wednesday. The names of the woman and the boy were not immediately released.
— McKenzie Romero
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15