RIVER HEIGHTS, Cache County — Police are investigating the death of a 2-year-old boy after finding the child dead in his home Wednesday.
The boy's body was found after his mother, 42, went to an area hospital for unknown medical reasons and hospital staff became concerned about her son's welfare, said Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen.
Deputies were notified about 2:30 p.m., went the home where the woman and the toddler lived alone and located the boy's body inside the home, Jensen said.
A medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death, Jensen said. Once an autopsy is complete, the sheriff's office will determine whether a criminal investigation is necessary.
The boy's mother was admitted to a Salt Lake hospital where she remained overnight, Jensen said.
No information about the woman's medical condition or what prompted hospital staff to inquire about the boy were available Wednesday. The names of the woman and the boy were not immediately released.
— McKenzie Romero
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 105
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 96
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 42
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 31
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17