RIVER HEIGHTS, Cache County — Police are investigating the death of a 2-year-old boy after finding the child dead in his home Wednesday.
The boy's body was found after his mother, 42, went to an area hospital for unknown medical reasons and hospital staff became concerned about her son's welfare, said Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen.
Deputies were notified about 2:30 p.m., went the home where the woman and the toddler lived alone and located the boy's body inside the home, Jensen said.
A medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death, Jensen said. Once an autopsy is complete, the sheriff's office will determine whether a criminal investigation is necessary.
The boy's mother was admitted to a Salt Lake hospital where she remained overnight, Jensen said.
No information about the woman's medical condition or what prompted hospital staff to inquire about the boy were available Wednesday. The names of the woman and the boy were not immediately released.
— McKenzie Romero
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Outbreak of illness linked to Weber County...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 35
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 22