RIVER HEIGHTS, Cache County — Police are investigating the death of a 2-year-old boy after finding the child dead in his home Wednesday.
The boy's body was found after his mother, 42, went to an area hospital for unknown medical reasons and hospital staff became concerned about her son's welfare, said Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen.
Deputies were notified about 2:30 p.m., went the home where the woman and the toddler lived alone and located the boy's body inside the home, Jensen said.
A medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death, Jensen said. Once an autopsy is complete, the sheriff's office will determine whether a criminal investigation is necessary.
The boy's mother was admitted to a Salt Lake hospital where she remained overnight, Jensen said.
No information about the woman's medical condition or what prompted hospital staff to inquire about the boy were available Wednesday. The names of the woman and the boy were not immediately released.
— McKenzie Romero
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12