BYU football: Ross Apo can't wait for rematch with Texas
Of course, if BYU is going to spring an upset against Texas Saturday, it is going to have to improve dramatically on the offensive side of the ball. The Cougars got off 93 plays in last weekend’s 19-16 loss to Virginia, but punted 11 times and scored just two touchdowns in a contest that was delayed for two hours due to lightning. Much of the second half was played in a rainstorm. The Cougars completed only 13-of-40 passes for 175 yards.
“I don’t think that was the best performance we’ve put on,” said Apo, who hauled in a 52-yard pass on the final play of the game. “We weren’t sharp or solid. There were a lot of passes on the ground. I think this week’s focus is a lot higher, I guess (Texas is) going to watch what Virginia did and try to do the same thing. But it’s going to be different. We’re not going to be playing in a hurricane and whatever else was coming down from the clouds. It will be better.”
Texas’ defensive secondary is “solid,” Apo said. “We’ll have our work cut out for us. We have to prepare better than we did last week."
Apo believes that Texas will be affected by the elevation in Provo.
"I think it’s going to be different for them, the elevation,” he said. “When I came here from Texas, I was dying. I was on the ground, trying to get air. It’s a big difference. I think it’s going to be good to have them out here.”
Many Texas opponents enjoy making the “Longhorn down” (“Hook ‘em Horns" upside down) sign when they play the Longhorns.
“If we win, after the game, I’ll do it,” Apo said. “I think I did it my freshman year and bad luck came after that. I’ll wait.”
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 46
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 40
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27