Dick Harmon: BYU O-line coach Tujague faces big challenge
It was a weekly drama. And it was funny. But one thing you could count on, members of the French Legion brought it every play and sent a message down after down. They were not passive men; they were not pansies and they made crybabies out of grown men.
“Coach French called after the (Virginia) game,” Anae said. “He reminded us of his first game at BYU in 1980 (25-21 loss to New Mexico) and it wasn’t as disastrous as that. He told us to stay the course and we will. Nothing will change but our determination with an edge and greater purpose.”
Anae said BYU will be a better version of itself come Saturday, better in its second effort than the first.
How? Anae and Tujague said by changes that will be made and the competition they’ll forge. They moved Brock Stringham to right tackle, switched Michael Yeck from right tackle to left, will start Manaaki Vaiai at left guard, keep Terrance Alletto at center and are watching a real fight for right guard — keeping it open most of this week before Texas.
“We’re going to shuffle the line [this week] and see how others respond,” said Anae.
Asked about Tujague, Anae called him “great” at what he does.
Tujague, like French, is about hard work, pushing personal limits beyond comfort and overachieving. But most of all, he wants his guys to impose their will on the other guys. Make the other guys fear his guys.
We didn’t see that in Charlottesville.
“We have rallied the troops and acknowledged mistakes we made. All these mistakes are fixable,” said Tujague.
Create an edge, be more physical, impose wills on others?
We’ll know when complaints over the age of players becomes a cry.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 56
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21