Dick Harmon: BYU O-line coach Tujague faces big challenge
It was a weekly drama. And it was funny. But one thing you could count on, members of the French Legion brought it every play and sent a message down after down. They were not passive men; they were not pansies and they made crybabies out of grown men.
“Coach French called after the (Virginia) game,” Anae said. “He reminded us of his first game at BYU in 1980 (25-21 loss to New Mexico) and it wasn’t as disastrous as that. He told us to stay the course and we will. Nothing will change but our determination with an edge and greater purpose.”
Anae said BYU will be a better version of itself come Saturday, better in its second effort than the first.
How? Anae and Tujague said by changes that will be made and the competition they’ll forge. They moved Brock Stringham to right tackle, switched Michael Yeck from right tackle to left, will start Manaaki Vaiai at left guard, keep Terrance Alletto at center and are watching a real fight for right guard — keeping it open most of this week before Texas.
“We’re going to shuffle the line [this week] and see how others respond,” said Anae.
Asked about Tujague, Anae called him “great” at what he does.
Tujague, like French, is about hard work, pushing personal limits beyond comfort and overachieving. But most of all, he wants his guys to impose their will on the other guys. Make the other guys fear his guys.
We didn’t see that in Charlottesville.
“We have rallied the troops and acknowledged mistakes we made. All these mistakes are fixable,” said Tujague.
Create an edge, be more physical, impose wills on others?
We’ll know when complaints over the age of players becomes a cry.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 49
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45