Mormon health code puts Salt Lake City in top 25 happiest and healthiest cities in US
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Prevention magazine recently released the top 25 happiest and healthiest cities in the United States, based on its evaluation of 100 of the country's largest cities.
The study conducted 48 measures of health, happiness and well-being to determine the results.
"We looked at the grim: disease incidence, depression measures, unemployment rates, even FBI crime statistics," Sarah Mahoney and Susan Coene said in their online list.
After evaluating their data, Mahoney and Coene concluded that San Jose, Calif., was the healthiest and happiest city in the nation, with Salt Lake City behind it in second place. The reason for listing the Utah city so high was because of the city's low cancer rates, as well as its No. 1 ranking in cancer-survival rates.
"Cancer must hate Salt Lake," the Prevention article said. "Thanks to the influence of the Mormons, people in this city are both clean living and much younger than in other places in the United States."
Huntsman Cancer Institute's Anna Beck, M.D., spoke with Prevention regarding the Mormon influence.
"The most obvious reason is that the predominant religion doesn't endorse drinking or smoking," Beck said, "so that cuts down on cancer incidence. And when people do get sick, it often means they were healthier in the first place, so their chances of recovery are also better."
Fargo, N.D., also made the list due to religious practices. The city was listed at No. 6 because of its regular church attendance.
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but serves...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use social...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 87
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 38
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 37
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 35
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture... 16
- New Harmony: Mustering a mustard seed... 10
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 8