Family treasures to be sold during unique estate sale
Alec Cabrero, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Hundreds of unique items and treasures will be sold during an estate sale in the Salt Lake City Avenues neighborhood.
Oscar and Beverly Rowland were actors who lived at 1058 Third Ave. for almost 40 years. The couple owned a gift shop, a restaurant and a grocery store, and during their years together they collected a lot of things.
When the Rowlands died in 2010, their family didn't know quite what to do with the hundreds of unorganized boxes that contained all the items they collected over the years.
“We did contact an estate company, and when they came in and saw the state of things, they said no,” granddaughter Tiffany Morris said.
In July, the Rowlands' grandchildren finally sorted through the boxes.
"It's dirty, hard, sweaty work," Morris said. "But, the fun part about it is, you're unearthing treasures every day. Everything you're looking at is the result of hours and hours of man labor digging them out of boxes."
The boxes of treasures include old records, jewelry, and kitchen items, an antique piano, vintage clothes with the tags still on them and antique toys. The family doesn't know exactly what the items are worth, although they've tried to price them to see if anything is worth thousands.
"It's terrifying to us," Morris said. "It actually keeps me up at night. There's a lot of stuff here. I'm like, 'What if that's the one thing I don't check on eBay or Google and find some auction record of and somebody (says), 'Nan-a-nan-a-nan, we paid five bucks.'"
The sale begins Friday and goes through Sunday. It starts at 8 a.m. each day.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Police looking for man who allegedly fired at...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 61
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 52
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 29
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16