High school football: Rich spoils Summit Academy’s inaugural home football game
The scoreboard is yet to be put in place and workers were still adding the fence around the field, but the Summit Academy Bears had their first ever home football game Friday night spoiled by the Rich High Rebels 20-6.
The first game of the season is always a chance to work out some of the rough spots of a team’s game plan and Summit Academy had the advantage over Rich of having a game last week under its belt. It appeared however to be the initial game for everyone involved from the teams, timekeepers, officials down to the concessions stand.
The Rebels scored first when quarterback McKay Jarman ran through a hole on the right side for 14 yards. The Bears were unable to make much offensive progress on the newly installed defensive approach of the Rebels during the first half. Rich was able to add a second score when Ben Groll muscled his way into the end zone from the 10 yard line and the two point conversion for a 14-0 halftime lead.
First game mistakes plagued the Rebels at the start of the 3rd quarter when the snap for the punt went wide of the punter and set the Bears up for on the 30 yard line. It appeared that the Bears had it's first score of the game but the officials ruled the pitch from the quarterback was an illegal forward lateral. The Rich defense was able to force its opponent to turn the ball over on downs inside the five yard line to put an end to the scoring threat.
The Rebels took up a big chunk of time on a drive which started towards the end of the 3rd quarter and carried into the 4th but a pass on 4th down was short of the first down on the 5 yard line. The Bears gave the ball right back with a fumble which the Rebels turned into points when McKay Jarman was able to punch through from a yard out to bump the lead to 20-0. The Bears were able to get its offense running smoother in the fourth quarter but an interception by linebacker Mitch Jarman put an end to the threat. The Bears quickly returned and Hagan Hines was able to connect with Dallas Wheadon for a five yard pass with a minute to go in the game to put the final score at 20-6.
The Bears (0-2) host Layton Christian (1-1) next week while the Rebels (1-0) will host the Pirates from Westside Idaho (0-1).
Rich High spoils Summit Academys inaugural home football game.
Highlights of Utah High School football game between Rich and Summit Academy played at Bluffdale August 30th 2013
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34