Technology can be a blessing, and most of us have more than enough electronic devices to provide hours of both education and fun diversion. Consider that especially during the school year, these video games, cellphones, social media sites and television shows can become a major distraction to successful students. Implement reasonable limits and remember that each child and distraction may be different.
10. Enjoy it.
Try this: Survey friends and family whose children have grown and left home and ask if they wish their K-12 years had gone faster. Almost without exception, they will tell you how badly they want those years back.
Believe it or not, they probably miss the back-breaking back-to-school nights, the five-hour choir concerts in folding chairs suitable for torture and practicing spelling words for the Friday test. Mostly, they miss waiting by the window and watching the yellow school bus stop in front of the house at the end of the day.
They would give anything to trip on a backpack in the hallway.
They would gladly fix another after-school snack.
They would sit through a 30-minute re-enactment of the lunchroom drama.
One day, if you’re lucky, so will you.
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance." He can be reached at email@example.com or jasonfwright.com.
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- First Presidency Easter Message
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 53
- How much did President Obama donate to... 47
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 27
- The story behind the missionary reality... 15
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ... 14
- How does the world feel about morals... 13