Westminster soccer: losing skid hits three with loss at St. Francis
JOLIET, Ill. – The Westminster College women’s soccer team fell to Saint Francis (Ill.), 2-1, on Monday afternoon at ATI Field.
St. Francis (3-0) got on the board in the game’s fourth minute when Brooke Polus took a long feed from Alex Truhlar and fired a shot from 12 yards.
Westminster (1-3) quickly responded as Jessica Harris headed home a cross from Abby Holbrook in the ninth minute. It was the third goal of the season for Harris and her second scored on a header. The assist by Holbrook was the first of her career.
The game remained tied through halftime and into the 71st minute until Leslie Rueda collected a loose ball in front of the net and put it away for the game winner.
The Griffins had a 16-9 edge in shots during the game and managed six of their attempts on goal. Lexi Tucker attempted a team-best three shots with one on frame with Brianna Wilson getting two shots on goal. Jamie Wilkinson made two saves in taking the loss.
Westminster looks to snap its current three-game losing skid when it hosts Oregon Tech at Dumke Field on Friday. The action is scheduled for a 4:30 p.m. opening kick.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 84
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 36
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 25