"Our family is just very entrepreneurial,” Chelsea Sloan said. "We're always thinking of how we can improve things. We learned it from our parents.”
Being a Mormon in business
A number of things she learned on her LDS mission have helped her in building Uptown Cheapskate, Sloan said.
"It helped mold my character and taught me to take raw core power and harness it towards a goal, which is really important in a business because things don't always go well," Sloan said.
One of her mottos for business is to always be the person walking the higher moral ground, even if it's not in your favor.
"We're Mormon. We're in Utah. It matters that in business we do the right thing for people the biggest thing is how we try to be disciples of Christ," Sloan said.
Uptown Cheapskate doesn't do any training on Sundays. Instead, they take their clients to Temple Square. "It's a good way to spread the word that Mormons aren't weird," Sloan said.
Uptown Cheapskate also provides a lot of additional help to their franchise owners beyond the necessary requirements. "It's so easy for us to be selfish. It's nice to have something like this where I'm working on a system to support my franchisees to take care of their families," Sloan said.
Ultimately, the Salt Lake City resident enjoys the success of being in a down economy with a growing business. "It's definitely a company I really believe in," Sloan said.
For more information about Uptown Cheapskate, visit uptowncheapskate.com.
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- Book review: 'By the Stars' is a low-key love...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Book review: 'The Spider and the Sparrow' is...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 40
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 32
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- How would you describe God in just one... 11
- Does Hollywood demean — or... 9
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 7