Balancing act: Some readers are jealous of telecommuting colleagues
"I doubt I could make it work. There are undoubtedly exceptions, but when hiring an employee, I don't think I would ever take that chance."
Another reader posting a comment online wrote that he could work from home once a week, but chooses to do so less often.
"During slow time periods of the year, I love being able to work from home more often, especially as those coincide with the winter months and I bike-commute," this reader wrote. "Others in the office telework as often as possible year-round.
"I seem to get about the same amount of work done at work and at home. With little ones running around vs. co-workers, it's a wash. I do love the time at home with them, though.
"At times, I've felt a bit put-off by their seeming ability to get an extended weekend by working from home on Monday, but as long as their performance doesn't affect my workload I'm not bothered by it. And it hasn't to date!"
However, another online comment indicated that some jealousy does exist in cubicle country.
"I wish my position enabled me to be able to telecommute," this reader wrote. "There are times when it would be very helpful. I admit to being a little jealous of those whose positions allow them that flexibility."
I think productivity is definitely the key here. If someone is working from home often and not getting the job done, a little envy from those in the office would be understandable. But if tasks are completed in a timely fashion, telecommuting shouldn't be problematic.
Of course, that's coming from someone who thinks remote work arrangements are a good idea. I'm still interested in your thoughts on this topic, so please keep your comments coming.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in U.S.,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 12
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,... 1