Balancing act: Some readers are jealous of telecommuting colleagues
"I doubt I could make it work. There are undoubtedly exceptions, but when hiring an employee, I don't think I would ever take that chance."
Another reader posting a comment online wrote that he could work from home once a week, but chooses to do so less often.
"During slow time periods of the year, I love being able to work from home more often, especially as those coincide with the winter months and I bike-commute," this reader wrote. "Others in the office telework as often as possible year-round.
"I seem to get about the same amount of work done at work and at home. With little ones running around vs. co-workers, it's a wash. I do love the time at home with them, though.
"At times, I've felt a bit put-off by their seeming ability to get an extended weekend by working from home on Monday, but as long as their performance doesn't affect my workload I'm not bothered by it. And it hasn't to date!"
However, another online comment indicated that some jealousy does exist in cubicle country.
"I wish my position enabled me to be able to telecommute," this reader wrote. "There are times when it would be very helpful. I admit to being a little jealous of those whose positions allow them that flexibility."
I think productivity is definitely the key here. If someone is working from home often and not getting the job done, a little envy from those in the office would be understandable. But if tasks are completed in a timely fashion, telecommuting shouldn't be problematic.
Of course, that's coming from someone who thinks remote work arrangements are a good idea. I'm still interested in your thoughts on this topic, so please keep your comments coming.
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- Cantwell targets small business loan gender gap
- 10 things to know about corporate... 27
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 12
- California push to avert higher gas... 10
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons 8
- It's about time the government... 6
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 3
- Dave Ramsey says: Government unlikely... 3