"My Own Mr. Darcy" is a modern "Pride and Prejudice" tale, and if readers know anything about the classic story, they might be in for a surprise about how this book will end.
The book begins with Elizabeth, or Lizzie, telling of her devotion to the movie that came out in 2005, starring Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen. Macfadyen plays Mr. Darcy in the movie, and Lizzie describes the first time she watched him on the screen and her immediate love for him.
This immediate love is what has dictated her interactions with the opposite sex since that moment, and is the key factor that directs the plot in the book.
The story is focused on her mission to find a man in her life that fits the Darcy character exactly, and who won't give any other his attention. However, at the urging of a close friend and paying attention to her own feelings, she soon becomes caught up in a love triangle with a perfect Mr. Darcy and another man she didn't quite anticipate entering her perfectly planned plot.
Though the book is a bit predictable, it is a fun read. Lizzie's character keeps things interesting with her motivations and emotions about the men that come into her life, though at times her decisions are very irrational and frustrating.
The characters are well-developed, and not much thought needs to go into figuring out the plot and flow of the book.
The book includes no inappropriate scenes or vulgar language.
The author, Karey White, is also the publisher of the book and used a Kickstarter campaign to begin production. She successfully raised $750 to throw a launch party and begin selling the book. White attended both Brigham Young University Idaho and Provo, and she is currently living in Pleasant Grove.
If you go ...
What: "My Own Mr. Darcy" book launch and Karey White book signing
When: Saturday, Sept. 14, 4 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase the book from The King's English.
What: Romance-appalooza, book signing: Karey White, "My Own Mr. Darcy" Mandi Ellsworth, "Uneasy Fortunes"; Lisa Rumsey Harris, "The Unlikely Gift of Treasure Bloom," Shannon Guymon, "Do Over"; and Carla Kelly, "Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career"
When: Saturday, Oct. 5, 6 p.m.
Where: University Crossings Plaza, 330 E. 1300 South, Orem,
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Two powerful forces make American families...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- 5 Tinder success stories that will make you...
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- Two powerful forces make American... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 9
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 4