CALI, Colombia — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Colombia was shot and killed Saturday by a stray bullet, church officials confirmed Sunday.
Jose Daniel Encarnacion Montero of the Dominican Republic, was with three other missionaries when he was struck by a stray bullet, according to LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. The other missionaries were unharmed and the incident is currently under investigation by police in Colombia, Todd said.
"Elder Encarnacion's passing will be deeply felt in the mission and by all who knew him," Todd said in a prepared statement. "We grieve with his family and friends during this time of mourning and extend to them our love, prayers, and deepest sympathy."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- LDS Church continues to grow in Cambodia
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 25
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 16
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 10
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- The IRS agrees to investigate churches... 7
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5