CALI, Colombia — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Colombia was shot and killed Saturday by a stray bullet, church officials confirmed Sunday.
Jose Daniel Encarnacion Montero of the Dominican Republic, was with three other missionaries when he was struck by a stray bullet, according to LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. The other missionaries were unharmed and the incident is currently under investigation by police in Colombia, Todd said.
"Elder Encarnacion's passing will be deeply felt in the mission and by all who knew him," Todd said in a prepared statement. "We grieve with his family and friends during this time of mourning and extend to them our love, prayers, and deepest sympathy."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 166
- Why I don’t call myself a... 93
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- General Women's Session focuses on... 18
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- State bills to protect religious... 12
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8