CALI, Colombia — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Colombia was shot and killed Saturday by a stray bullet, church officials confirmed Sunday.
Jose Daniel Encarnacion Montero of the Dominican Republic, was with three other missionaries when he was struck by a stray bullet, according to LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. The other missionaries were unharmed and the incident is currently under investigation by police in Colombia, Todd said.
"Elder Encarnacion's passing will be deeply felt in the mission and by all who knew him," Todd said in a prepared statement. "We grieve with his family and friends during this time of mourning and extend to them our love, prayers, and deepest sympathy."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon Conference to...
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 24