CALI, Colombia — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Colombia was shot and killed Saturday by a stray bullet, church officials confirmed Sunday.
Jose Daniel Encarnacion Montero of the Dominican Republic, was with three other missionaries when he was struck by a stray bullet, according to LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. The other missionaries were unharmed and the incident is currently under investigation by police in Colombia, Todd said.
"Elder Encarnacion's passing will be deeply felt in the mission and by all who knew him," Todd said in a prepared statement. "We grieve with his family and friends during this time of mourning and extend to them our love, prayers, and deepest sympathy."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of the...
- Utah chaplains serve 'God, country and fellow...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 57
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 9
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7