CALI, Colombia — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Colombia was shot and killed Saturday by a stray bullet, church officials confirmed Sunday.
Jose Daniel Encarnacion Montero of the Dominican Republic, was with three other missionaries when he was struck by a stray bullet, according to LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd. The other missionaries were unharmed and the incident is currently under investigation by police in Colombia, Todd said.
"Elder Encarnacion's passing will be deeply felt in the mission and by all who knew him," Todd said in a prepared statement. "We grieve with his family and friends during this time of mourning and extend to them our love, prayers, and deepest sympathy."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 99
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 89
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 34
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16