UVU golf: men's team opens season Monday at Battle in the Tetons
Clint Burgi, Deseret News
OREM — The Utah Valley University men's golf team opens the 2013 season Monday at the Battle in the Tetons hosted by Weber State University. The two-day tournament will be contested over 54 holes at the Headwaters Golf Club at Tetons Springs in Victor, Idaho.
The tournament gets underway Monday at 8 a.m. and will play at par-72 over 7,373 yards. Teams will play 36 holes Monday before a final-round 18 on Tuesday.
All eight golfers on UVU's roster will compete in the tournament, with three playing as individuals.
"We are ready to start the season," head coach Chris Curran said. "The guys have been playing all summer and are ready to compete. This is one of our favorite tournaments of the year and we feel that the course sets up well for our guys. If we go out and play the way we know how, I think we have a good chance to win."
It is the third consecutive year that the Wolverines have opened the season at the Battle in the Tetons, and the tournament has been a venue of some of the program's greatest successes to date. In 2011, UVU picked up its first tournament victory in program history holding off Southern Utah by eight strokes. Former Wolverine-great Mason Casper coasted to the individual title as well, finishing 14-under to win by 10 strokes.
UVU was again in the thick of things in last year's edition, finishing in a tie for third alongside Utah State. Casper placed seventh to finish as the Wolverines' top finisher. Wyoming was the runaway team champion, topping the field by 36 strokes.
Of Utah Valley's returners, Preston Richards finished highest at last season's Battle in the Tetons. The now-junior finished in a tie for 36th after going 75-80-77 (232). Brayden Eriksen tied for 43rd after shooting 238 (75-77-86). Corey Eccles carded the best rounds of any Wolverine as a true freshman last season, but a scorecard mishap disqualified him and rang his pair of 71s null.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 85
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 30