Weber State football: Big first quarter helps Wildcats outlast Lumberjacks in season opener
The Lumberjacks came out in the fourth quarter and scored 14 straight to trim the Wildcats' lead to three with 11 minutes remaining.
Weber State came right back as Zach Smith took a reverse and sprinted 57 yards down the field and into the end zone to quickly put the home team back up by 10.
Thanks to a couple of late interceptions in Lumberjacks' territory, the 'Cats eventually held on for the 50-40 victory despite giving up 30 points in the second half.
The last time Weber State put 50 points on the board was in a 50-47 4OT victory against Northern Colorado in 2010.
Weber State next travels to Rice-Eccles Stadium to take on the University of Utah at noon Saturday.
Ryan Love was born and raised in Holladay, Utah and is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications. Ryan became a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News in October, 2012. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 69
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 50
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34