BYU football: Star receiver Cody Hoffman sidelined by hamstring injury against Virginia
Tom Smart, Deseret News
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — BYU senior wide receiver Cody Hoffman suffered a hamstring injury late in the week during practice.
But it wasn’t until after warm-ups that the Cougars realized they would be without their All-America candidate in a 19-16 setback at Virginia Saturday.
“We were hopeful all the way until pregame today that he would play,” said coach Bronco Mendenhall. “It just didn’t come around. It wasn’t one of those that you think is going to be a long recovery. But for some reason, it took longer than what we thought.”
Offensive coordinator Robert Anae said Hoffman’s presence on the field was missed.
“Cody Hoffman would have been a welcomed piece of the puzzle because there is that, ‘Man, who are we going to lean on when things get really tight?'” Anae said. “Cody Hoffman has been that guy for BYU for a couple of years. As soon as Cody’s healthy and back in it, his contribution will be just that — confidence. ... Tonight we were a little short of that.”
“He warmed up with us, but he wasn’t ready to go full speed,” quarterback Taysom Hill said of Hoffman. “Hopefully we can get him back for next week.”
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44