SALT LAKE CITY — Utah-based trucking firm C.R. England laid off 81 workers on Friday.
In a memo issued by company chief executive officer Chad England, the cuts come as the transportation industry struggles to grow this year "due to a stagnant economy, increasing federal regulations and a tightening market for drivers."
"Scaling back our cost structure is a responsible business strategy in difficult times," England said. "Unfortunately, we found that the size of our non-driver workforce must be adjusted to be consistent with the amount of freight we are able to haul in this environment."
He did not say if all of the layoffs were centered in Utah.
He said the reduction represents less than 1 percent of the 8,245 employees and independent contractors at C.R. England. The laid off employees were offered severance packages, he added.
"We regret that recent conditions have forced this reduction," England said. "We hope that you understand that protecting the financial viability of C.R. England is of fundamental importance to employees and independent contractors who work hard every day."
He said that company leadership remained excited about what can accomplished in the coming months and years.
"We have doubled in size since 2007, and we plan on doing it again," England said. "As we fight our way through this, we will become a stronger company. During difficult times, it is critical that we focus on the principles that have been a big part of our company for almost a century: hard work, cost control, teamwork, fantastic service, safety and innovation."
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8