Real Salt Lake report card:RSL's fire-in-the-belly attitude leads to a remarkable win
Friday night was the third time Real Salt Lake has played the Portland Timbers in the last 24 days. The Claret and Cobalt last played the Timbers at Jeld Wen Field in Portland Aug. 21, escaping with a 3-3 draw despite going down a man. RSL led the series 1-0-1 going into the match. For a team more than two thirds of the way through the season, RSL appears to have discovered another gear just in time to close out the season.
When many of Major League Soccer's best teams, including Portland, are facing the fitness struggles that often come this time of year, RSL controlled the run of play on its way to a 4-2 win with fitness and a fire-in-the-belly attitude that has fans giddy with excitement as Real Salt Lake makes its way toward the playoffs and a potential Supporter's Shield.
Chris Higbee is the general manager of DeseretNews.com and occassionally writes about Real Salt Lake.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48