That said, the Utes struggled find the end zone, particularly in the second half. The only touchdown they scored after the first quarter was thanks to an onside kick.
The Utes used a committee of James Poole, Karl Williams and Kelvin York to run the ball. However, they weren't terribly impressive as the Utes averaged only 3.4 yards per carry.
Utah will have to do better than that to move the ball on Kyle Van Noy and the BYU front seven.
As for the defense, the only thing that stopped Chuckie Keeton was his own cramps. They couldn't contain him and Keeton escaped again and again from pressure and made big plays.
Taysom Hill should pay close attention to what Keeton did against the Utes. If he can replicate that performance, it's going to be a long day for the Ute defense.
The Utah defense also looked gassed by the end of the game. Granted, it is the first game of the season, so we should see the Utes in better shape by the time they play BYU.
Utah played good enough to beat Utah State Thursday, but it will have to step up its game if it wants to compete against the likes of Oregon, Stanford, UCLA and the rest of the Pac-12. However, BYU should expect a hard, drawn-out brawl against the Utes at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
All in all, BYU learned a lot about their in-state rivals on Thursday. Here's hoping that the Cougars apply that knowledge to come away with the Beehive Boot this season.
Lafe Peavler is a Deseret News sports writting intern and a national college football featured columnist for bleacher report. Follow me on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22