That said, the Utes struggled find the end zone, particularly in the second half. The only touchdown they scored after the first quarter was thanks to an onside kick.
The Utes used a committee of James Poole, Karl Williams and Kelvin York to run the ball. However, they weren't terribly impressive as the Utes averaged only 3.4 yards per carry.
Utah will have to do better than that to move the ball on Kyle Van Noy and the BYU front seven.
As for the defense, the only thing that stopped Chuckie Keeton was his own cramps. They couldn't contain him and Keeton escaped again and again from pressure and made big plays.
Taysom Hill should pay close attention to what Keeton did against the Utes. If he can replicate that performance, it's going to be a long day for the Ute defense.
The Utah defense also looked gassed by the end of the game. Granted, it is the first game of the season, so we should see the Utes in better shape by the time they play BYU.
Utah played good enough to beat Utah State Thursday, but it will have to step up its game if it wants to compete against the likes of Oregon, Stanford, UCLA and the rest of the Pac-12. However, BYU should expect a hard, drawn-out brawl against the Utes at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
All in all, BYU learned a lot about their in-state rivals on Thursday. Here's hoping that the Cougars apply that knowledge to come away with the Beehive Boot this season.
Lafe Peavler is a Deseret News sports writting intern and a national college football featured columnist for bleacher report. Follow me on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 52
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 33
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31