OREM — A high school soccer coach has been charged with unlawful sexual activity with a 17-year-old girl.
Angel Enciso-Lezama, 48, the boys soccer coach at Timpanogos High School, was issued a citation charging him with unlawful sexual activity with a minor, a class A misdemeanor, in July. The alleged victim worked for him at a private business, said Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez.
"The victim was helping her boss, our suspect, clean out or move stuff around his storage unit. During that time there was a lot of inappropriate conversations taking place that then led to some inappropriate touching," Martinez said. "There was no sex or allegations of any sex, but it still concerns us due to the age of the victim and the suspect."
The teen told her aunt about the incident and she notified police. Martinez said it was an isolated case. "We don't believe there's any more victims," he said.
Enciso said Friday he was shocked by the allegation and denied any sexual activity with the girl. He informed school officials of the charge against him Friday after he was contacted by the Deseret News.
"He disclosed to the principal what happened and what was alleged that was done," said Alpine School District spokesman John Patten. "He mentioned that he is anxious to get his day in court, that he didn't do what he is charged with doing."
Enciso, of Orem, has worked at the high school for five years but is not a full-time employee. He is also a club coach with the Utah Youth Soccer Association. When informed about the charge, a representative for the association said it planned to take action against him.
He is scheduled to appear in 4th District Court in Spanish Fork on Sept. 20.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Skier rescued from Alta avalanche by...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Do Utah high school students need four... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12