"I think that nonreligious people respect other people’s right to pray," she said. "I know there’s plenty of religious people praying that Common Core will stay."
She said she was motivated to write the post out of a feeling of being completely outnumbered by the political power structure of the state and the national marketing power of Common Core supporters. The voices of concerned parents, she said, are being "drowned out" by policymakers and Core lobbyists.
"We’re just moms and dads, we don’t get a penny for fighting Common Core even through we’re doing it daily," she said. "We’re doing it because we feel that it is really wrong."
When asked about the PDK/Gallup poll, Swasey said the upside of people being unfamiliar with the Common Core is the potential of more parents becoming informed and joining the opposition.
"It is growing and growing and I predict that it’s going to get bigger and louder before it gets quiet," she said.
While a call for prayers can imply a last-ditch effort after other attempts at success have failed, Burbank said that in the case of Utah's Common Core, an appeal to religion shouldn't be seen as evidence that the conversation is over.
"Given the nature of the debate, I suspect that this is much more about rallying the troops to this particular view than it is saying, ‘We’re getting close to the end and don’t know what else to do,’" he said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12