Simple recipe for 'baked fried' potatoes will give any meal special appeal
Taste is always the first consideration when it comes to my favorite recipes, but I also enjoy it when those dishes are presented in a different and attractive way. One of my favorite foods is simple fried potatoes. My mother and grandmother served them often as a side dish, and I loved the crispy outside sprinkled with just a hint of salt and pepper. What could be more simple and delicious?
Recently, I found a new way to cook potatoes that provides a similar taste to frying them, but they are actually baked. The presentation of this dish, with its accordion-looking design, makes it a fun focal point on the plate.
BELLE'S BAKED FRIED POTATOES
4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Cut thin slices the entire length of the potatoes, but not the entire way through: leave about ½ inch uncut at the bottom.
Place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, making sure it covers the potato and gets into the cut ridges. Sprinkle with salt.
Bake potatoes in a 375-degree oven for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender with a crisp outside.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's 'Cinderella'...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- 'Duck Dynasty' family proud of daughter's...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 80
- Boston man seeks to promote chivalry as... 10
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and... 9
- Pope reinforces traditional family values 5
- Make way for a new family act in Vegas:... 5
- Katherine Heigl talks primetime... 4
- Executed American's heartbreaking... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3