Gregory Bull, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah workplace deaths in 2012 equaled the total in 2011, according to a preliminary report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Utah recorded a preliminary count of 39 work-related deaths in 2012, the same amount as in 2011. Nationally, the preliminary count of 4,383 fatal work injuries was lower than the revised count of 4,693 in 2011.
Transportation incidents remained the most frequent type of fatal work-related events and accounted for 16 of the 39 fatal work injuries in Utah workers in 2012.
Seven fatalities occurred from assaults and violent acts; four were from falls, slips or trips; and seven were from contact with objects and equipment.
Of the workers fatally injured, 34 were men and nine were self-employed
There were 13 deaths of workers 45-54 years old, and 11 for those 25-34 years old.
The Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries study includes data for all fatal work injuries. It includes injuries within the jurisdiction of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and other federal or state agency regulations, as well as injuries that occur outside the scope of regulatory coverage.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics annually releases total fatality counts and descriptive data in an effort to provide the most accurate information to assist employers, safety departments, and employees in identifying occupational safety and health issues in the state.
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- House panel to discuss bill on ending tax on...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7