Gregory Bull, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah workplace deaths in 2012 equaled the total in 2011, according to a preliminary report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Utah recorded a preliminary count of 39 work-related deaths in 2012, the same amount as in 2011. Nationally, the preliminary count of 4,383 fatal work injuries was lower than the revised count of 4,693 in 2011.
Transportation incidents remained the most frequent type of fatal work-related events and accounted for 16 of the 39 fatal work injuries in Utah workers in 2012.
Seven fatalities occurred from assaults and violent acts; four were from falls, slips or trips; and seven were from contact with objects and equipment.
Of the workers fatally injured, 34 were men and nine were self-employed
There were 13 deaths of workers 45-54 years old, and 11 for those 25-34 years old.
The Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries study includes data for all fatal work injuries. It includes injuries within the jurisdiction of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and other federal or state agency regulations, as well as injuries that occur outside the scope of regulatory coverage.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics annually releases total fatality counts and descriptive data in an effort to provide the most accurate information to assist employers, safety departments, and employees in identifying occupational safety and health issues in the state.
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 77
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 38
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in... 12