Families of those killed by Utah cops rally against police militarization
From there, Balko asked the crowd to guess "cop or soldier" as he showed images of men in camouflage armor and helmets hanging off armored vehicles or helicopters, all carrying large guns.
The group gasped at a photo of a man in camo armor and carrying a large rifle moving through the trees, as Balko announced, "That's an Oregon state trooper."
Balko called for an emphasis on constitutional protections meant to ensure civilian safety.
"We need to resist a culture of militarism. We need to resist standing armies. We need to resist using soldiers and gear designed for war for domestic law enforcement," he said. "The military's job is to annihilate a foreign enemy, to kill people and break things, and they do it well. The job of the police is to protect and serve."
As officers are treated as soldiers and told they are fighting wars, the separation between military and police "is blurred to where there's really no distinction at all," he said.
Balko's book sold out before the event began. He was charismatic, his sardonic presentation drawing laughs at moments and dismayed groans at others as he shared examples of SWAT raids on mistaken addresses or unlikely targets, expanding police forces, anecdotes of victims and a high-energy promotional video showing the power of the Lenco BearCat set to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck."
"This kind of force that was once reserved for riots and hostage takings and bank robberies, in a lot of jurisdictions, is becoming the first option that these police agencies are turning to," he said.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35