Utes, USU football: Kicker Andy Phillips puts Utah over the edge against the Aggies in 2013 season opener
“We had to ignite it,” Anderson said. “On our first drive we said, 'If we get it, we’ve got to score,' and that’s what we did.”
Leading 7-3 after Utah State retaliated with a 26-yard field goal by Diaz, Utah added a 30-yard touchdown pass from Wilson to tight end Jake Murphy with 1:37 left to play in the opening quarter.
The points were needed by game’s end as momentum shifted back and forth.
“Oh man, if was for sure a dramatic game. But thankfully we got the ‘W,’ man,” Anderson said. “It was a hard-fought game. Credit to Utah State. They played great. But thankfully we came out on top.”
Utah State coach Matt Wells also acknowledged the intensity of the rivalry game.
"They made one more play than we did," he said. "I'm proud of our kids. They've got a lot of fight to them."
The Utes return to action Saturday, Sept. 7 at home against Weber State. The Aggies open Mountain West play that day at Air Force.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34