Utes, USU football: Kicker Andy Phillips puts Utah over the edge against the Aggies in 2013 season opener
“We had to ignite it,” Anderson said. “On our first drive we said, 'If we get it, we’ve got to score,' and that’s what we did.”
Leading 7-3 after Utah State retaliated with a 26-yard field goal by Diaz, Utah added a 30-yard touchdown pass from Wilson to tight end Jake Murphy with 1:37 left to play in the opening quarter.
The points were needed by game’s end as momentum shifted back and forth.
“Oh man, if was for sure a dramatic game. But thankfully we got the ‘W,’ man,” Anderson said. “It was a hard-fought game. Credit to Utah State. They played great. But thankfully we came out on top.”
Utah State coach Matt Wells also acknowledged the intensity of the rivalry game.
"They made one more play than we did," he said. "I'm proud of our kids. They've got a lot of fight to them."
The Utes return to action Saturday, Sept. 7 at home against Weber State. The Aggies open Mountain West play that day at Air Force.
- BYU earns NCAA at-large bid; will face Oregon...
- Breaking down the field: A look at the 68...
- Jimmer Fredette thinks Bulls give him ideal...
- BYU's No. 10 seed surprises national media
- BYU's NCAA tournament fate: 'Anything could...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Kyle Collinsworth already...
- Utes headed to NIT game at Saint Mary's
- Brad Rock: NCAA can't ignore BYU's tournament...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 114
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU earns NCAA at-large bid; will face... 80
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 75
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utes headed to NIT game at Saint Mary's 31
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30
- Bubble watch: BYU playing the waiting game 20