Gail Miller named co-chairwoman of Count My Vote initiative to change Utah's caucus, convention system
SALT LAKE CITY — Gail Miller said she is carrying on the "legacy and passion for participation" shared with her late husband as a new co-chairwoman of the Count My Vote initiative petition drive.
The initiative seeks to change the state's unique caucus and convention system used by political parties to select candidates to involve more Utah voters. Currently, nominees can be chosen by party delegates with enough support.
"I believe that we become a stronger nation when our citizens participate in elections and are engaged with their government," Miller said.
She is the first of several Utahns expected to be named as co-chairs of the effort.
Miller's late husband, Larry H. Miller, had conducted the first meeting of the Governor's Commission on Strengthening Utah's Democracy under former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. from his hospital bed.
"It's evident Gail has picked up that same passion," said Rich McKeown, who will head a yet-to-be named executive committee for Count My Vote. "She brings remarkable credibility."
Count My Vote was founded by a group of prominent Republicans, including former Gov. Mike Leavitt and political consultant LaVarr Webb, who writes a column for the Deseret News.
The organization is expected to launch a drive soon to gather the more than 100,000 voter signatures needed to qualify for a spot on the November 2014 ballot, said McKeown, also a founder of the organization.
"We are not very far away from filing and moving forward," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 15