Gail Miller named co-chairwoman of Count My Vote initiative to change Utah's caucus, convention system
SALT LAKE CITY — Gail Miller said she is carrying on the "legacy and passion for participation" shared with her late husband as a new co-chairwoman of the Count My Vote initiative petition drive.
The initiative seeks to change the state's unique caucus and convention system used by political parties to select candidates to involve more Utah voters. Currently, nominees can be chosen by party delegates with enough support.
"I believe that we become a stronger nation when our citizens participate in elections and are engaged with their government," Miller said.
She is the first of several Utahns expected to be named as co-chairs of the effort.
Miller's late husband, Larry H. Miller, had conducted the first meeting of the Governor's Commission on Strengthening Utah's Democracy under former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. from his hospital bed.
"It's evident Gail has picked up that same passion," said Rich McKeown, who will head a yet-to-be named executive committee for Count My Vote. "She brings remarkable credibility."
Count My Vote was founded by a group of prominent Republicans, including former Gov. Mike Leavitt and political consultant LaVarr Webb, who writes a column for the Deseret News.
The organization is expected to launch a drive soon to gather the more than 100,000 voter signatures needed to qualify for a spot on the November 2014 ballot, said McKeown, also a founder of the organization.
"We are not very far away from filing and moving forward," he said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Rally in support of police also draws... 27
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9