“To Kill a Mockingbird” (1962, b/w). Yet another not-to-be-missed classic, one of those rare films that doesn’t seem to age, with a superb Oscar-winning performance by Gregory Peck at its center and a story that transcends time to be just as relevant today as it was in 1962. Also an unusual example of a great book being turned into an equally great movie. (Sunday, Sept. 15, 2 p.m., and Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., Cinemark Theatres, www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series)
“Peter Pan” (1924, b/w, silent). This was the hit of the 1924 Christmas season, a surprisingly subtle and still highly entertaining adaptation of J.M. Barrie’s work about the boy who declines to grow up (played wonderfully by Betty Bronson, hand-picked by Barrie), as he brings Wendy and her brothers from London to Neverland, rescues Tiger Lily (played by Anna May Wong), battles Capt. Hook and receives invaluable aid from Tinker Bell. (Thursday-Friday, Sept. 19-20, The Organ Loft, 7:30 p.m., www.edisonstreetevents.com/silent-movies)
“Barbary Coast” (1935, b/w). Howard Hawks directed this action-packed, witty, entertaining melodrama starring Miriam Hopkins as an opportunistic woman who arrives at San Francisco’s notorious Barbary Coast at the height of the 1849 gold rush, discovers her fiancé has been killed and heads for a disreputable gambling house where she takes up with the wealthy owner, her fiance’s presumed killer (Edward G. Robinson). Then in walks chivalrous miner Joel McCrea and all bets are off. Walter Brennan co-stars. (Friday, Sept. 27, BYU, Provo, 7 p.m., free, http://lib.byu.edu/sites/artcomm/)
“Vertigo” (1958). See description in “Hitchcock Series” at the top of this column. (Sunday, Sept. 29, 2 p.m., and Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., Cinemark Theatres, www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series)
Chris Hicks is the author of "Has Hollywood Lost Its Mind? A Parents Guide to Movie Ratings." His website is www.hicksflicks.com
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life changing...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1