Utes fooball: Utah, Colorado both face 'little brothers' in Pac-12 opening weekend
The University of Utah and the University of Colorado may have more in common than being Pac-12 newbies together.
Although the Buffaloes have had a significantly less successful three-year bout in the conference, both football teams have struggled tremendously. Another commonality: Colorado and Utah have both had recent struggles with their "little brothers."
Ted Miller of the ESPN Pac-12 blog pointed out that last season the Utes, as everyone in the state of Utah should know by now, lost to Utah State for the first time in 12 contests. A fact that is lesser known in Utah is that the Colorado Buffaloes also lost to their "little brother" during the same season.
The Buffaloes fell to Colorado State in their 2012 opener, 22-17. This loss, as was Utah's loss to the Aggies, was disheartening and possibly set the tone for the entire season.
"Me personally, I didn't take it well," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "I wasn't able to put it behind me and move forward quick enough."
Now, in a repeat of last year, both the Utes and the Buffaloes have something against their Mountain West Conference in-state foes.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 100
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 48
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 37
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 32