Utes fooball: Utah, Colorado both face 'little brothers' in Pac-12 opening weekend
The University of Utah and the University of Colorado may have more in common than being Pac-12 newbies together.
Although the Buffaloes have had a significantly less successful three-year bout in the conference, both football teams have struggled tremendously. Another commonality: Colorado and Utah have both had recent struggles with their "little brothers."
Ted Miller of the ESPN Pac-12 blog pointed out that last season the Utes, as everyone in the state of Utah should know by now, lost to Utah State for the first time in 12 contests. A fact that is lesser known in Utah is that the Colorado Buffaloes also lost to their "little brother" during the same season.
The Buffaloes fell to Colorado State in their 2012 opener, 22-17. This loss, as was Utah's loss to the Aggies, was disheartening and possibly set the tone for the entire season.
"Me personally, I didn't take it well," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "I wasn't able to put it behind me and move forward quick enough."
Now, in a repeat of last year, both the Utes and the Buffaloes have something against their Mountain West Conference in-state foes.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 29
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8