Utes fooball: Utah, Colorado both face 'little brothers' in Pac-12 opening weekend
The University of Utah and the University of Colorado may have more in common than being Pac-12 newbies together.
Although the Buffaloes have had a significantly less successful three-year bout in the conference, both football teams have struggled tremendously. Another commonality: Colorado and Utah have both had recent struggles with their "little brothers."
Ted Miller of the ESPN Pac-12 blog pointed out that last season the Utes, as everyone in the state of Utah should know by now, lost to Utah State for the first time in 12 contests. A fact that is lesser known in Utah is that the Colorado Buffaloes also lost to their "little brother" during the same season.
The Buffaloes fell to Colorado State in their 2012 opener, 22-17. This loss, as was Utah's loss to the Aggies, was disheartening and possibly set the tone for the entire season.
"Me personally, I didn't take it well," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "I wasn't able to put it behind me and move forward quick enough."
Now, in a repeat of last year, both the Utes and the Buffaloes have something against their Mountain West Conference in-state foes.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39