Utes fooball: Utah, Colorado both face 'little brothers' in Pac-12 opening weekend
The University of Utah and the University of Colorado may have more in common than being Pac-12 newbies together.
Although the Buffaloes have had a significantly less successful three-year bout in the conference, both football teams have struggled tremendously. Another commonality: Colorado and Utah have both had recent struggles with their "little brothers."
Ted Miller of the ESPN Pac-12 blog pointed out that last season the Utes, as everyone in the state of Utah should know by now, lost to Utah State for the first time in 12 contests. A fact that is lesser known in Utah is that the Colorado Buffaloes also lost to their "little brother" during the same season.
The Buffaloes fell to Colorado State in their 2012 opener, 22-17. This loss, as was Utah's loss to the Aggies, was disheartening and possibly set the tone for the entire season.
"Me personally, I didn't take it well," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "I wasn't able to put it behind me and move forward quick enough."
Now, in a repeat of last year, both the Utes and the Buffaloes have something against their Mountain West Conference in-state foes.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13