Utes fooball: Utah, Colorado both face 'little brothers' in Pac-12 opening weekend
The University of Utah and the University of Colorado may have more in common than being Pac-12 newbies together.
Although the Buffaloes have had a significantly less successful three-year bout in the conference, both football teams have struggled tremendously. Another commonality: Colorado and Utah have both had recent struggles with their "little brothers."
Ted Miller of the ESPN Pac-12 blog pointed out that last season the Utes, as everyone in the state of Utah should know by now, lost to Utah State for the first time in 12 contests. A fact that is lesser known in Utah is that the Colorado Buffaloes also lost to their "little brother" during the same season.
The Buffaloes fell to Colorado State in their 2012 opener, 22-17. This loss, as was Utah's loss to the Aggies, was disheartening and possibly set the tone for the entire season.
"Me personally, I didn't take it well," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "I wasn't able to put it behind me and move forward quick enough."
Now, in a repeat of last year, both the Utes and the Buffaloes have something against their Mountain West Conference in-state foes.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 33
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16