2nd arrest made in Las Vegas 'Mormon missionary' robbery
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Robbery Section
LAS VEGAS — A second man has been arrested in the case of two men accused of posing as Mormon missionaries and beating and robbing a Las Vegas resident.
Robert Estall, 25, turned himself in on Wednesday, according to the Las Vegas Metro Police Department.
On June 27, a little after 6 a.m., two men wearing white shirts, ties, dark pants and backpacks went to a residence near the corner of Flamingo and Buffalo streets and said they "wanted to talk religion" with the homeowner, according to court documents.
The homeowner later told police the men were dressed like "Mormon missionaries," although investigators weren't sure if they ever identified themselves as such.
As the homeowner turned his back to close the door, he told police he was "jumped" by the men.
The man's wife ran upstairs to a bedroom closet to hide and call 911. While she was hiding, one of the suspects ransacked the bedroom as if he were looking for something. One of the intruders continued to yell, "Where's the safe?" "Where's the money?" and "We know you have money," police wrote in the warrant.
The homeowner was pistol-whipped several times in the back of his head and face. Police said the robbers took about an ounce of the man's medical marijuana from a safe in his garage.
The suspects were recorded entering the house by the home's surveillance system. When video from that incident was turned over to the media by Las Vegas police, several people called to tell investigators that the two men had been discharged from the miliary, according to court records. Investigators used records from Nellis Air Force Base as part of their investigation.
Police arrested Abraham Austin, 28, in connection with the June 27 incident Friday on a warrant for conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary with a gun, battery, robbery with a deadly weapon, battery with a deadly weapon and two counts of kidnapping.
Estall, considered by police to be the primary aggressor in the attack, was booked into jail for investigation of the same charges.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Police looking for 4 in West Jordan home...
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper to try...
- Murder charge: 'I did it, I shot her,' Sandy...
- Key developments in the case of slain NYPD...
- List of potential prison sites cut to three
- Accused thief hit officer with stolen car,...
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell'
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 11
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Death of South Jordan man in shootout... 8