Police seek information after 3 teens arrested following Utah County crime spree
OREM — Three teenage boys were arrested Tuesday after police say they stole two cars and broke into more than 60 others.
Police say the trouble started early Monday morning after the three boys arrived at Orem Junior High School.
"Two 13-year olds and a 14-year-old decided to (skip) school, and they all walked down to southwest Provo,” Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez said.
After hanging out for the day, the boys walked around trying to find a place to sleep, he said.
“When it got dark, they all came up with the idea to go car hopping, go commit some auto burglaries,” Martinez said. “They hit a couple of neighborhoods down in Provo, checking car doors. They were getting into cars that were left unlocked, so they weren’t breaking any windows or forcing their way into these cars.”
Police say the teens eventually came to a car with the keys inside.
"(They were) stealing some property and came across an '86 Cadillac DeVille that had the keys inside," Martine said. "(They) were sick of walking and decided they would steal this car. So you have got three juveniles, 14 is the oldest one in there, driving around in a car.”
After driving around Provo and Orem, the boys pulled into a neighborhood near Timpanogos Regional Hospital and began stealing from cars again, police say.
"They ripped up registrations and ransacked things, and some of the things of value weren't taken, couldn't figure out what they wanted,” said resident Shannon Thorne, whose car was one of about 60 the teens allegedly rummaged through.
Police said the teens found keys and a purse inside a 2000 Ford Windstar and stole the vehicle. They drove around and went into a Wal-Mart, where they used credit cards stolen from the van to buy items.
They later parked the van and walked to a nearby neighborhood, committing more auto burglaries before being arrested, police say.
The teens were arrested and booked into detention for investigation of theft of a vehicle, possession of stolen properties, theft from a vehicle, criminal mischief and unlawful use of a credit card.
Police say most of the burglaries happened between 400 West and 600 West, and 900 North and 1000 North.
Police recovered several items, including clothing, cellphones, makeup, cash, sunglasses, MP3 players, knifes, duffel bags and various electronic devices.
Anyone who thinks the teens broke into their car can contact Orem police at 801-229-7070.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- Multiple people ejected, at least one...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Stolen truck full of $1 million in shoes...
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Provo man admits threatening to kill officers...
- Man charged in brutal Cedar City killing...
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11
- Colorado teen who likely died in Utah... 10
- Scene of man pointing a gun at another... 7
- Charges: Illinois man sexually abused... 6
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were... 3
- Stolen truck full of $1 million in... 3
- Provo man admits threatening to kill... 3