Shawn Dowd, AP
If you thought the tea party was a thing of the past, think again.
A front-page article in Wednesday’s Wall Street Journal reported that during the past couple months, donations have tripled and staffing has doubled at Tea Party Patriots — “the tea party’s largest umbrella group.”
“After a tough 2012 election season, the tea-party movement is on the rebound (and) riding a revival of interest sparked by controversy over the IRS's much-publicized targeting of conservative groups,” Monica Langley wrote for the Journal. “Public-opinion polls suggest the controversy has helped the movement's image. In a June 15 Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, 51 percent of Republicans said they had a positive view of the tea party, up from 42 percent in January, but still below the 63 percent recorded in December 2010.”
On the Washington Post political blog The Fix, Sean Sullivan reported Tuesday afternoon that three tea-party senators — Sens. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Rand Paul, R-Ky. — joined Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, in fighting to defund Obamacare because each member of the “big three” has an eye on running for president in the 2016 election.
“(They) are fighting a losing battle to defund Obamacare that is going nowhere fast on Capitol Hill,” Sullivan wrote. “And yet, they each stand to gain politically from the crusade that is doomed to failure in part because, well, it is doomed to failure.
“If, as expected, the Lee plan continues to go nowhere, what Rubio, Paul and Cruz can all basically say about their fight against Obamcare is, ‘Hey, we gave it our all on this crucial issue.’ And that’s a powerful argument to make in a GOP presidential primary in which candidates often jockey for the conservative high ground.”
- Taiwan plane crash survivor crawls out of...
- What happened on the ground the day Flight 17...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- Feds cap fines for not buying health...
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Associated Press analysis: Colorado gun law...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Cellphone unlocking set to become legal again
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 49
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 25
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 25
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 20
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 18
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16