Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Transit Authority announced Wednesday a new fare payment card that is expected to provide greater convenience to its cash-paying riders. FAREPAY will allow customers to purchase a reusable, electronic fare card, load it with cash and use it to tap on and off of UTA trains and buses systemwide.
The FAREPAY card will debut sometime this fall, but testing of the new fare payment method is already underway. With FAREPAY, the cards never expire or lose their value and can be reloaded with additional funds.
FAREPAY cards will be available online at www.rideuta.com, at UTA customer service centers and participating retailers. There will be a one-time $3 activation fee to purchase a card, which can then be loaded with any amount between $5 and $500.
The cards can be reloaded online, at customer service centers or at any of the select retailers.
Card holders will be required to tap card readers on buses or train platforms when boarding and exiting. The cost of the ride will automatically be deducted from the value on the FAREPAY card.
Customers are cautioned not to forget to tap off when exiting the system or transferring between lines to avoid a charge for transfers or for the full length of a FrontRunner trip, said UTA spokesman Remi Barron.
"There is no need to tap on and off when transferring between TRAX lines," he explained. "FAREPAY cards, like other forms of payment, allow for a free two-hour transfer window between modes of transportation."
Customers can register their FAREPAY card online to protect against loss or theft, he added.
"Monthly passes are designed to provide a benefit for frequent riders," Barron said. "For occasional riders, it offers the convenience of a monthly pass without losing its value at the end of the month."
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11