High school football: Jordan's Christian Shaver commits to Colorado
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SANDY — When Christian Shaver was a sophomore at North Canyon High School in Phoenix, the first school that really showed genuine interest in him was the University of Colorado.
Two years later the Buffs got their man.
The Jordan High senior committed to Colorado shortly before practice on Wednesday, saying it’s always been a dream to play in the Pac-12 — not surprising since he grew up in Arizona Pac-12 territory.
The defensive end also had offers from Utah and Hawaii, as well as interest in several other schools. Ultimately, the interest showed by the Colorado coaching staff from the beginning was the difference.
“The entire summer they were always sending me hand-written letters, all the coaches once a week, always stayed in contact with them. From Day 1 they were already interested,” said Shaver, who said he also fell in love with the campus when he attended a camp at Colorado in June.
Shaver had five tackles and two sacks in Jordan’s 40-12 season-opening victory over Fremont last week. As a junior last season, he recorded 60 tackles to help lead the Beetdiggers to one of the most dominant seasons in recent memory.
Shaver is listed as a two-star recruit by Scout and Rivals recruiting networks. His commitment comes two weeks after Logan High defensive lineman Sam Bennion also verbally committed to Colorado.
Shaver will enroll in Colorado next June, and the coaching staff informed him if he shows dominance in the pass rush during fall camp and speed on the outside, he’ll be able to compete for playing time. Shaver acknowledged that a move to outside linebacker his freshman season is possible depending on personnel.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- No. 18 BYU expecting 'difficult, volatile'...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39