Commentary: BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall focused on #EveryDayGreatness
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
However, fans hoping to find an inside scoop on Cougar football or just learn what Bronco had for breakfast this morning might be disappointed.
That doesn't mean that Coach Mendenhall hasn't used the popular social media outlet. In fact, he has 33 tweets or retweets so far this month alone.
So, what short messages does Coach Mendenhall want to share with his followers?
It's all about #EverydayGreatness.
Instead of sharing tidbits about the team or meaningless trivia about what he does every waking moment, Mendenhall sends out quotes from famous people on what it means to be great everyday.
So far, he's quoted Apple co-founder Steve Jobs
As will all matters of heart, you'll know when you find it. -Steve Jobs #EverydayGreatness— Coach Mendenhall (@BYU_Football) August 6, 2013
Mormon apostle Jeffrey R. Holland
American Writer and Poet Maya Angelou
You can only practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage." Maya Angelou #EverydayGreatness— Coach Mendenhall (@BYU_Football) August 9, 2013
Greek philospher Epictetus
Civil rights giant Martin Luther King Jr.
"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr. #EverydayGreatness— Coach Mendenhall (@BYU_Football) August 16, 2013
Mormon prophet Joseph Smith
Legendary Green Bay Packers Coach Vince Lombardi
Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. - Vince Lombardi #EverydayGreatness— Coach Mendenhall (@BYU_Football) August 24, 2013
And Legendary UCLA Bruins Basketball Head Coach John Wooden.
Of course, no other college football coach would tweet a set of quotes quite like this one.
But what did we expect? Did anyone really think that Bronco would tell his followers when he was standing in line at the supermarket? Or, did anyone think that Mendenhall would give away secrets about his team on social media?
#EverydayGreatness fits Coach Mendenhall so well, we should have seen this coming.
Lafe Peavler is an intern for Deseret News web sports and national college football featured columnist for Bleacher Report. Follow him on Twitter - @MasterPeavler
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33