Ryan Morgenegg, Wizkids
Quarriors! is a fantasy-themed game of dice rolling for two to four players from the creative minds at Wizkids. It won the coveted Dice Tower Award for best game of 2011 and was also a 2012 Games Magazine nominee for best family game. It's fun to play and offers plenty of replay value.
In Quarriors!, players are mighty warriors who must earn a certain amount of glory points to win. Gameplay consists of players capturing additional dice representing dragons, knights, goblins and green ooze to fight for them by rolling a certain combination on six dice. If a creature is captured, the player gets to add a new dice representing that creature to the player's own collection of dice.
Dice are used to prepare creatures for battle, cast magic spells, power special abilities, re-roll dice and capture new creatures. Players customize their dice pools during the game using resources generated by their rolls. If a player wants three dragons on his team, two knights or a combination of everything, he gets to customize his own mystical team.
To score glory points, the players must keep their prepared creatures alive until their next turn. Each type of creature earns a different amount of glory, and some spells can change the rules, increase glory or affect creatures. The game offers a lot of variety and plays differently each time.
The fun factor in this game is collecting new dice. Each creature, spell or game effect has its own unique die. The dice come in different colors, speckles, opacities and imprints. Each Quarriors! game comes with 130 custom dice, 53 power cards, a score tracker and four dice bags.
The way I decide whether or not a game is a hit is whether or not I want to keep it or pass it along to someone else. Quarriors! is a keeper and will be staying with me for a long time. It is certain to provide families and friends with many hours of fun.
Ryan Morgenegg is a multimedia specialist for the Deseret News.
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 8
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 6
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2