The start of the new school year can create a steady stream of emotional and logistical stressors for parents of school-aged kids. But the emergence of new routines also creates an opportunity for Christians to recommit to cultivating their faith on a daily basis through the pages of scriptures.
Columnist Laurie Richardson penned an op-ed piece that the Christian Science Monitor published Wednesday with the headline “Parents’ role in back to school.”
“The emotional resiliency required of parents in transitioning into the school year can feel like a monumental task of mental juggling,” Richardson wrote. “The pressing concerns of societal influence and the safety of the environment rank paramount in parents’ concern for their children’s welfare.
“As a parent I’ve found countless examples in the Bible that illustrate earnest prayer in securing a desired peace and assurance for those within their embrace. Including everyone in our prayer and hope for harmony, we can extend that ‘gospel of Love’ and bring a comprehensive result of good for all to the community.”
Previous Monitor articles with back-to-school themes include “Back to school with Spirit” (“I find it encouraging to remember that there’s a higher source of wisdom that is a wellspring of inspiration and ideas”) and “Back to school with confidence” (“Often when I pray, or mentally reach out to God, I find it helpful to be very still and to listen with the expectation that God is communicating His love to me.”).
Christian Post columnist Joyce Meyer published an article Monday, “Peace on Purpose,” that is also very pertinent to parents at the outset of the school year.
“Even though God's Word tells us to pursue peace, it's important for us to gain a good understanding of what it means to do this,” Meyer wrote. “Of course, we may have to change some things — beginning with what we think about peace — because peace is not based on our stuff or our circumstances. If we continue to think that some thing or person or action will give us peace, we will never have it. Those are all outward conditions when we need to be looking inward.”
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 78
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 52
- How much did President Obama donate to... 47
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 27
- The story behind the missionary reality... 15
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ... 14