The 15 best quotes from Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' speech
On Aug. 28, 1963, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
Today, Aug. 28, 2013, marks the 50th anniversary of this historic event. This speech helped galvanize the Civil Rights movement and brought the plight of the disenfranchised to a larger national and international audience.
In honor of that historic moment, we have compiled three lists that provide a glimpse into the speech and the events leading up to the March on Washington.
List: The most significant American political speeches of the 20th century ("I Have a Dream" tops the list)
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- My view: Poor federal stewardship threatens...
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school funds...
- Letter: Messy tax code
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- My view: $1.2 billion for nutrient removal is...
- In our opinion: Don't let 50-year-old Land...
- Letter: Evaluate water usage
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 86
- Letter: Sovereign flag 47
- In our opinion: After court's marriage... 42
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 28
- Sistas in Zion: Reaction to racial... 18
- In our opinion: APUSH in the wrong... 18
- Letter: Nationwide health care 17
- My view: Why America exists: A Fourth... 15