Ravell Call, Deseret News
Once again, Utah has been recognized for its low cost of living and high worker satisfaction.
Kiplinger, a website that reports on personal finance issues, has compiled a list of the 10 best cities in America for “cheapskates,” naming both Salt Lake City and Ogden — No. 7 and No. 2 respectively — as great places for those seeking a frugal lifestyle.
Writers of the report, which looks primarily at cost of living and median household income, were particularly impressed with Salt Lake City’s cheaper-than-average housing and utilities costs. According to their research, Salt Lake‘s housing costs average 15.9 percent less than the country’s average. Utilities usually run 13.7 percent less.
Ogden, which placed second only to Omaha, Neb., was noted for the high average household income. According to the report's estimates, residents of Ogden earn 18.2 percent more than the U.S. median, the highest average income on the list.
“Frugality is the new black in these post–Great Recession times,” Stacy Rapacon wrote in the list’s introduction. And for that reason, “The unique combination of prosperity and affordability should appeal to cheapskates and spendthrifts alike.”
The list read as follows:
1. Omaha, Neb.
2. Ogden, Utah
3. Des Moines, Iowa
4. Columbus, Ohio
5. Raleigh, N.C.
7. Salt Lake City
8. Austin, Texas
9. St. Louis
10. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Balancing act: List of top work-from-home...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats...
- Recent college graduates feeling the pinch of...
- Why small businesses want a higher minimum wage
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Seen the future of affordable housing? It...
- The top money problems in America
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 13
- Why small businesses want a higher... 7
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats... 6
- Recent college graduates feeling the... 5
- 9 things to never buy at yard sales 4
- Delete, avoid and hang up when it comes... 1