2 Utah cities make Kiplinger's '10 best cities for cheapskates'
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Once again, Utah has been recognized for its low cost of living and high worker satisfaction.
Kiplinger, a website that reports on personal finance issues, has compiled a list of the 10 best cities in America for “cheapskates,” naming both Salt Lake City and Ogden — No. 7 and No. 2 respectively — as great places for those seeking a frugal lifestyle.
Writers of the report, which looks primarily at cost of living and median household income, were particularly impressed with Salt Lake City’s cheaper-than-average housing and utilities costs. According to their research, Salt Lake‘s housing costs average 15.9 percent less than the country’s average. Utilities usually run 13.7 percent less.
Ogden, which placed second only to Omaha, Neb., was noted for the high average household income. According to the report's estimates, residents of Ogden earn 18.2 percent more than the U.S. median, the highest average income on the list.
“Frugality is the new black in these post–Great Recession times,” Stacy Rapacon wrote in the list’s introduction. And for that reason, “The unique combination of prosperity and affordability should appeal to cheapskates and spendthrifts alike.”
The list read as follows:
1. Omaha, Neb.
2. Ogden, Utah
3. Des Moines, Iowa
4. Columbus, Ohio
5. Raleigh, N.C.
7. Salt Lake City
8. Austin, Texas
9. St. Louis
10. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Former navy vet says the effects of this are...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Balancing act: What did you learn about...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 12
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- Why you should still pack a school... 7
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 7
- Food stamp use shows continued... 6
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4