2 Utah cities make Kiplinger's '10 best cities for cheapskates'
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Once again, Utah has been recognized for its low cost of living and high worker satisfaction.
Kiplinger, a website that reports on personal finance issues, has compiled a list of the 10 best cities in America for “cheapskates,” naming both Salt Lake City and Ogden — No. 7 and No. 2 respectively — as great places for those seeking a frugal lifestyle.
Writers of the report, which looks primarily at cost of living and median household income, were particularly impressed with Salt Lake City’s cheaper-than-average housing and utilities costs. According to their research, Salt Lake‘s housing costs average 15.9 percent less than the country’s average. Utilities usually run 13.7 percent less.
Ogden, which placed second only to Omaha, Neb., was noted for the high average household income. According to the report's estimates, residents of Ogden earn 18.2 percent more than the U.S. median, the highest average income on the list.
“Frugality is the new black in these post–Great Recession times,” Stacy Rapacon wrote in the list’s introduction. And for that reason, “The unique combination of prosperity and affordability should appeal to cheapskates and spendthrifts alike.”
The list read as follows:
1. Omaha, Neb.
2. Ogden, Utah
3. Des Moines, Iowa
4. Columbus, Ohio
5. Raleigh, N.C.
7. Salt Lake City
8. Austin, Texas
9. St. Louis
10. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 8
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- How do Americans use their time? 1