USU officials release name of student killed in cycling accident
LOGAN — Utah State University officials Tuesday released the name of the student who died Monday in a cycling accident.
Eric Scott Anderson, 24, of West Jordan, was riding his bike down Old Main Hill when he hit a slack line — a rope tied between two trees that people balance and walk across for recreation.
USU spokesman Tim Vitale said Anderson was a music major who played the trumpet.
“He had a lot of friends from what I hear,” he said. “He seems like an incredibly lively, dynamic, well-loved character. Our hearts go out to the family.”
Vitale said the slope Anderson was riding down runs east to west, and the slack line, which was strung at about chest height, was also running east to west.
“He hit it at an angle,” he said. “It’s just a very unfortunate meeting of two events, two things happening.”
Vitale said USU prides itself in attracting students who enjoy outdoor activities and are adventurous. Those are the kind of students they “grow” at USU, he said.
“This is not how the first day of school should go,” Vitale said.
USU student Blake DeVries called it a tragic and unfortunate accident.
“It could have been anybody,” he said. “I ride my bike all the time.”
USU President Stan Albrecht released a statement expressing condolences to Anderson's family and friends.
“This is an extremely tragic event, and we offer our sincere condolences to the family and to all the young people involved in this terrible accident,” Albrecht said.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 125
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9