BYU football: Notre Dame safety Chris Badger reportedly transferring to BYU
Chris Badger is reportedly seeking to enroll at BYU this fall and join the football team immediately, according to his brother, Troy Badger.
Badger, a 5-foot-11, 197-pound safety originally from Timpview High, played alongside current BYU starting safety Craig Bills, where he was named as a first-team All-State performer.
Badger signed with the Irish in 2010, and enrolled there before leaving for a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Ecuador. He returned to Notre Dame before the 2012 season, but did not see playing time that season.
The transfer to BYU was made recently and without the expectation of playing for the Cougars this season, according to Troy. Badger thoroughly enjoyed his time at Notre Dame, but had the desire to be closer to his family, among other factors.
Badger is thrilled with the opportunity to reunite with Bills and Bronson Kaufusi, whom he played with while at Timpview.
"They did some great things at Timpview, but most of all, I think Chris just wanted to be back home and to be a part of BYU and the unique things the school has to offer," Troy said. "It was a tough decision leaving Notre Dame, a school he really loved, but he's excited about his opportunities at BYU."
According to Troy, Chris wills start classes next Tuesday and will have a walkon spot on the team immediately, but won't be able to play during the 2013 season. There are no current plans to apply for a waiver from the NCAA unless BYU coaches counsel him to do so.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20