Book review: 'Emergency Preparedness' details and simplifies needs for almost every emergency
Editor's note: Preparing for emergencies, from natural disasters to a house fire, shouldn’t have to be a stressful or expensive. Here is one of three recently reviewed books that have suggestions on different aspects of emergency preparedness.
The task of preparing for emergencies can cause feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed out. But, in a new edition of Evan Gabrielsen's "Emergency Preparedness: A Practical Guide for Preparing Your Family," he encourages readers to simply "do one thing today."
Using past disasters and emergencies such as Hurricane Katrina, the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Gabrielsen shows us ways individuals, families and communities could have been better prepared.
There are many things that can be easily done to prepare for an emergency. Gabrielsen suggests 72-hour kits, storing water, planning evacuations and having first aid skills as just a few wise ways to be ready. He also includes various detailed lists of necessities to consider having on hand.
Disasters such as earthquakes, floods and tornadoes aren't the only threats to mankind's safety and well-being. Gabrielsen also says that job loss, power outages and house fires are equally important to consider in emergency preparedness. Each family and individual needs to assess their needs for potential emergencies and prepare accordingly. Being prepared for a crisis brings peace of mind.
He says that being more fully prepared enables people to help those around them, such as neighbors — especially the elderly — who may not be equipped to help themselves.
Gabrielsen's book is designed to help families be ready for disaster but is also useful for communities and business owners.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 13
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3