August Miller, August Miller/Deseret Morning Ne
PROVO — BYU and the University of California have announced a two-game football series for the 2014 and 2017 seasons.
The Cougars and Golden Bears will meet at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif., on Nov. 29, 2014, with a second game at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.
BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe, who coached at Cal from 1996 to 2001, said the series is unique for him.
“Cal is a world-class academic institution with a historic football tradition," Holmoe said. "Playing in the newly remodeled Memorial Stadium will be a treat for our team and the Cougar faithful who attend the Berkeley matchup, and having the Golden Bears play at LaVell Edwards Stadium will be a great game for our home fans.”
BYU and Cal have previously played three times in football, with the Cougars holding a 2-1 series advantage. No. 24-ranked BYU won the first meeting 38-28 on Oct. 9, 1999, in Provo, while Cal won the last meeting 35-28 on Dec. 22, 2005, at the Las Vegas Bowl.
Kickoff times and broadcast plans for the series will be announced at a later date.
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 152
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 62
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19