August Miller, August Miller/Deseret Morning Ne
PROVO — BYU and the University of California have announced a two-game football series for the 2014 and 2017 seasons.
The Cougars and Golden Bears will meet at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif., on Nov. 29, 2014, with a second game at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.
BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe, who coached at Cal from 1996 to 2001, said the series is unique for him.
“Cal is a world-class academic institution with a historic football tradition," Holmoe said. "Playing in the newly remodeled Memorial Stadium will be a treat for our team and the Cougar faithful who attend the Berkeley matchup, and having the Golden Bears play at LaVell Edwards Stadium will be a great game for our home fans.”
BYU and Cal have previously played three times in football, with the Cougars holding a 2-1 series advantage. No. 24-ranked BYU won the first meeting 38-28 on Oct. 9, 1999, in Provo, while Cal won the last meeting 35-28 on Dec. 22, 2005, at the Las Vegas Bowl.
Kickoff times and broadcast plans for the series will be announced at a later date.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 102
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 12
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5