August Miller, August Miller/Deseret Morning Ne
PROVO — BYU and the University of California have announced a two-game football series for the 2014 and 2017 seasons.
The Cougars and Golden Bears will meet at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif., on Nov. 29, 2014, with a second game at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.
BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe, who coached at Cal from 1996 to 2001, said the series is unique for him.
“Cal is a world-class academic institution with a historic football tradition," Holmoe said. "Playing in the newly remodeled Memorial Stadium will be a treat for our team and the Cougar faithful who attend the Berkeley matchup, and having the Golden Bears play at LaVell Edwards Stadium will be a great game for our home fans.”
BYU and Cal have previously played three times in football, with the Cougars holding a 2-1 series advantage. No. 24-ranked BYU won the first meeting 38-28 on Oct. 9, 1999, in Provo, while Cal won the last meeting 35-28 on Dec. 22, 2005, at the Las Vegas Bowl.
Kickoff times and broadcast plans for the series will be announced at a later date.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 64
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22