August Miller, August Miller/Deseret Morning Ne
PROVO — BYU and the University of California have announced a two-game football series for the 2014 and 2017 seasons.
The Cougars and Golden Bears will meet at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif., on Nov. 29, 2014, with a second game at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.
BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe, who coached at Cal from 1996 to 2001, said the series is unique for him.
“Cal is a world-class academic institution with a historic football tradition," Holmoe said. "Playing in the newly remodeled Memorial Stadium will be a treat for our team and the Cougar faithful who attend the Berkeley matchup, and having the Golden Bears play at LaVell Edwards Stadium will be a great game for our home fans.”
BYU and Cal have previously played three times in football, with the Cougars holding a 2-1 series advantage. No. 24-ranked BYU won the first meeting 38-28 on Oct. 9, 1999, in Provo, while Cal won the last meeting 35-28 on Dec. 22, 2005, at the Las Vegas Bowl.
Kickoff times and broadcast plans for the series will be announced at a later date.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 89
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 55
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 29