August Miller, August Miller/Deseret Morning Ne
PROVO — BYU and the University of California have announced a two-game football series for the 2014 and 2017 seasons.
The Cougars and Golden Bears will meet at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif., on Nov. 29, 2014, with a second game at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 16, 2017.
BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe, who coached at Cal from 1996 to 2001, said the series is unique for him.
“Cal is a world-class academic institution with a historic football tradition," Holmoe said. "Playing in the newly remodeled Memorial Stadium will be a treat for our team and the Cougar faithful who attend the Berkeley matchup, and having the Golden Bears play at LaVell Edwards Stadium will be a great game for our home fans.”
BYU and Cal have previously played three times in football, with the Cougars holding a 2-1 series advantage. No. 24-ranked BYU won the first meeting 38-28 on Oct. 9, 1999, in Provo, while Cal won the last meeting 35-28 on Dec. 22, 2005, at the Las Vegas Bowl.
Kickoff times and broadcast plans for the series will be announced at a later date.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 40
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 38
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6