Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two RVs and a shed burned Monday evening, but fast-acting firefighters were able to save nearby houses.
Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay said investigators believe the fire started in an RV and spread to a nearby shed, burning all its contents.
The fire spread and burned a second RV, as well as two ATVs, Asay said. The fire also melted nearby siding.
The fire started about 6:30 p.m. at 1337 Arapahoe Ave., Salt Lake City Fire Capt. Kyle Lavender said.
"We're just glad we were able to get the calls soon enough and get here quick enough that it didn't spread to any of the houses," he said.
No one was injured in the fire, and crews had it under control in about 25 minutes, he said. The cause is still under investigation.
"Within the first 15 minutes, we had 30 firefighters on scene," Lavender said. "If we don't get that kind of response, this does travel quickly. This was two structures that the siding melted quickly due to heat, and it was only a matter of time before they would have been on fire themselves."
Lavender said the smoke was very black because of the burning automotive parts.
"It wasn't like a routine structure fire with normal wood burning," he said. "We have to wear our air, even though it's an outside fire. We have to wear our air packs (and) make sure we're not breathing that in."
Because of the burning metal, when crews added water, it created a "firework-like image," Lavender said. Adding water made the metal spark and become more intense before enough water was used to put it out, he said.
Power lines also fell during the fire, causing outages for a few residents.
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Video: Man uses 'random acts of pasta' to...
- Shoppers skip turkey for a shot at...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Advent: A time of fasting, preparation for...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 37
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 28
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 26
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 26